What is Intellectual Property?Jan 17, 2023
As online business owners in the information age, everything we sell is intellectual property. But what exactly does that mean? How can we protect our work when most of what we create is intangible? Tune in for an overview of intellectual property, including the difference between copyrights and trademarks and the steps you can take to protect your content and client work.
- Intellectual property refers to the laws that govern ownership of things created by the human intellect: ideas, designs, inventions, brand identity, artwork, etc.
- The main types of intellectual property are trademarks, copyrights, and patents. Generally, trademarks protect your brand, copyrights protect content, and patents protect inventions.
- When you understand your ownership rights in all the things you create (and then sell or give away) in your business, you get to stay in the driver's seat
- Learn more about trademark registration services
- Watch the free masterclass
- Follow Amy on Instagram @artfulcontracts
Thank you so much for listening! If you enjoyed this episode, please reach out and let me know by sending me a DM on Instagram @artfulcontracts
Here are a few other steps you can take to support the podcast:
Watch the free masterclass
If you are an online business owner who’s ready to take the guesswork out of the legal aspects of your business, watch my free training to learn the 3 steps to get your business legally legit without hiring a lawyer. Let’s get the legal stuff covered so you can grow your business with confidence.