9 Steps to Legally Protect Your Business, Part 1Aug 30, 2022
This is part 1 of a 3-part series that covers 9 steps to legally protect your online business. This episode will help you avoid accidentally infringing on someone else's trademark with your business name and protect your personal assets from the risks of doing business.
Download the free guide accompanying this series at artfulcontracts.com/legalchecklist
- Make sure your business name is available in your state and is not already a registered trademark before you go all in on your branding and marketing.
- Be intentional when choosing your business entity. By default, your business is a sole proprietorship and you have zero liability protection. If you have personal assets you want to protect, consider forming an LLC.
- Get an EIN from the IRS. If you have an LLC, this is not optional. If you're a sole proprietor, it's a great option to keep your Social Security number private.
- Download the 9-Step Legal Checklist
- Search your business name using TESS
- Companies that will help you form your LLC (affiliate links): IncFile, Harbor Compliance, ZenBusiness
- Get an EIN from the IRS
- Watch the free masterclass
- Follow Amy on Instagram @artfulcontracts
Thank you so much for listening! If you enjoyed this episode, please reach out and let me know by sending me a DM on Instagram @artfulcontracts
Here are a few other steps you can take to support the podcast:
- Leave a review on Apple Podcasts
- Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, or Stitcher
- Share the episode on social media and tag me @artfulcontracts
Watch the free masterclass
If you are an online business owner who’s ready to take the guesswork out of the legal aspects of your business, watch my free training to learn the 3 steps to get your business legally legit without hiring a lawyer. Let’s get the legal stuff covered so you can grow your business with confidence.