Why You Can't Register Your Canva Logo as a TrademarkDec 20, 2022
If you designed your logo on Canva, you probably can't register it as a trademark. Your logo helps your customers recognize your brand, but if it was designed with a Canva template, it may not be unique enough to legally function as a trademark. It's also against Canva's policies to register a design that uses its elements as a trademark.
Tune in for a discussion on the implications of using Canva to design your logo and what to do instead.
- When you create a design using Canva, you receive a license to use any pre-designed pieces (elements) in your design. You do not own those elements
- By definition, to be a trademark, a design has to be unique enough to identify a particular company. A template logo is probably not unique enough to function as a trademark
- If your logo is just a stylized version of your business name, you'll get broader trademark protection if you register the words of your business name than the logo
- Learn more about trademark registration services
- Check out the Trademark Roadmap DIY trademarks course
- Canva's help doc on this topic
- Watch the free masterclass
- Follow Amy on Instagram @artfulcontracts
Thank you so much for listening! If you enjoyed this episode, please reach out and let me know by sending me a DM on Instagram @artfulcontracts
Here are a few other steps you can take to support the podcast:
Watch the free masterclass
If you are an online business owner who’s ready to take the guesswork out of the legal aspects of your business, watch my free training to learn the 3 steps to get your business legally legit without hiring a lawyer. Let’s get the legal stuff covered so you can grow your business with confidence.