3 Things I Would Do Differently If I Started My Business Again (And One I Would Do the Same)Jun 13, 2023
It's easy to look at established business owners and think they've got it all figured out - but even as a practicing small-business attorney, I didn't get everything right when I was starting my business! Tune in for my reflections on 3 (legal) things I'd do differently if I were starting my business from scratch - plus the one thing I'm happy I did before getting started.
If you want to make sure your business is legally legit right from day 1 (or whatever day you're at right now!) join my annual membership, Cover Your Assets. Cover Your Assets walks you through each step to get all the legal stuff in place for your business - and is now open for enrollment! We just switched over to an open enrollment, annual membership model - so you can join when you're ready for a lower monthly investment than ever before. Learn more about Cover Your Assets here.
- You don't have to have a business name right from the beginning - your business will probably evolve a lot in those first few months or years, and the name you pick pre-launch might not reflect those later changes
- You can give your LLC money via a capital contribution - this can help you set a budget at the beginning and make sure you aren't co-mingling your personal and business money before sales start coming in
- It's a lot easier to establish your boundaries, set your policies, and get clear on your offers if you write your contract before you have a prospect waiting to sign it
- There's no requirement that you form an LLC right away - but it is a lot simpler to start with one from the beginning that to transition after your business is established
- Episode 7: What to Do If Your Business Has No Money (for more info on capital contributions)
- Episode 9: Do You Really Need an LLC?
- Join Cover Your Assets
- Watch the free masterclass
- Follow Amy on Instagram @artfulcontracts
Thank you so much for listening! If you enjoyed this episode, please reach out and let me know by sending me a DM on Instagram @artfulcontracts
Here are a few other steps you can take to support the podcast:
Watch the free masterclass
If you are an online business owner who’s ready to take the guesswork out of the legal aspects of your business, watch my free training to learn the 3 steps to get your business legally legit without hiring a lawyer. Let’s get the legal stuff covered so you can grow your business with confidence.